About three years ago I counseled my daughter and son-in-law when they were developing curricula for that inner city program. They had asked me if some of the materials that were being used overseas could be utilized if they could adapt them for age appropriateness. I provided them with a copy of the “God and Man” material written by Dell and Rachel Schultze for the New Tribes work in the Philippines. I also suggested which lessons might be a priority to use since they needed to reduce the number of sessions. Both had served as volunteers for years, prior to becoming the coordinators and Bryan, was a licensed educator.
The “God and Man” material suggests the following characteristics of God be taught and then explore significant biblical passages to learn to identify them:
- God is righteous. He is holy, just, and good. He does not have any sin.
- God is all powerful. He can do anything He wants to do.
- God is all knowing. He is the source of all knowledge. He knows how to make everything. He knows every thought, every word, and every action of all people.
- God is the source of all grace. He is the source of everything that is good; love, mercy, pity, goodness, kindness, caring.
- God hates sin. He has no sin. He will judge all who sin. He will punish all who sin.
- God keeps his promises. Whatever He has promised He will do, even if a long time passes.